Thursday 1 December 2011

November 2011 Wrap-Up - German Literature Month

November (of course) has been dominated by German Literature Month, and this is reflected in my list for the month - not a word of English to be seen :)  I have thoroughly enjoyed my few weeks of Teutonic texts, but I'm also glad to have it behind me as I really need a break from the frequent posting it entailed ;)

It would be remiss of me to end the month without a shout-out to the wonderful organisers of the whole affair, Lizzy and Caroline.  I'm sure it was a nightmare keeping everything running smoothly, and it didn't show at all: DANKE SCHÖN!!!   

Seriously though, it has been a wonderful opportunity to discuss German-language books, something that can be difficult (certain of my G-Lit posts in the past have generated exactly zero comments...).  I've also found a lot of new bloggers who read and review the same kind of books I do - a relief after the disaster that was BBAW...

I greatly enjoyed the two read-alongs, the first I've participated in, as it was refreshing to get to see so many different opinions on one book.  I was even inspired to watch a film version of one of the books - even if it was a rather old, staid adaptation ;)  You want more?  How about my three-part Kafka tribute play?  Or my first ever post in German?  Now that is one busy month!

I get the feeling you're still expecting something else though...  Oh, alright, here are the numbers :)

*****
Total Books Read: 11
Year-to-date: 117

New: 11
Rereads: 0

From the Shelves: 6
From the Library: 0
On the Kindle: 5

Novels: 3
Novellas: 7
Short Stories: 1

Non-English Language: 11 (11 German)
In Original Language: 11 (11 German)

Books read in November were:
1) Das Schloß by Franz Kafka (Act One, Act Two, Act Three, Director's Cut)
5) Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
Aussie Author Challenge: 0 (19/12)
Victorian Literature Challenge: 3 (31/15)
Japanese Literature Challenge 5: 0 (6/1)

Tony's Recommendation for November is: Stefan Zweig's Schachnovelle

I had a good think about this one!  I thoroughly enjoyed the Gothic stylings of Die schwarze Spinne, and as an introduction to Stefan Zweig, Schachnovelle was a real pleasure.  However, I'm a big fan of Fontane's work (and a big fan of novels over novellas), so his classic story of marriage and betrayal just about squeaks home as Klassenprimus this month.  But only just :)  Sorry, there's been a recount.  After rereading Schachnovelle, I've decided that Zweig is the winner by a nose.  No correspondence will be entered into ;)

December?  Rest, a slow-down in posting, and a fair proportion of rereading old friends I suspect.  Mind you, I've said that before...