Sunday 6 January 2013

December 2012 Wrap-Up

My last wrap-up post of 2012 is a fairly quiet one, but it's just the calm before the storm.  January is going to be very busy around these parts...

*****
Total Books Read: 14

Year-to-Date: 125

New: 14

Rereads: 0

From the Shelves: 9
Review Copies: 3
From the Library: 0
On the Kindle: 2 (1 review copy)

Novels: 9
Novellas: 1
Short Stories: 2
Non-Fiction: 2

Non-English Language: 10 (8 Japanese, 1 Italian, 1 Faroese)
In Original Language: 0

Murakami Challenge: 1 (1/3)
Aussie Author Challenge: 1 (7/12)
Australian Women Writers Challenge: 1 (6/10)
Japanese Literature Challenge 6: 8 (14/1) 

*****
Books reviewed in December were:
1) Long Days by Maike Wetzel
2) A History of the World by Andrew Marr
3) The Old Man and his Sons by Heðin Brú
4) Frozen Dreams by Wahei Tatematsu
5) My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin
6) Accabadora by Michela Murgia
7) The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

Tony's Turkey for December is:
- Michela Murgia's Accabadora

While this tale of an old woman and her adopted daughter in a Sardinian village started well, it really went downhill in the second half of the book.  My fourth turkey for 2012, but (as you may already be aware) not quite bad enough to be the golden turkey ;)

Tony's Recommendations for December are:

Heðin Brú's The Old Man and His Sons
and Miles Franklin's My Brilliant Career

I loved both of these books, and I was really struggling to separate them for the final spot on my best-of list for 2012.


So I didn't ;)

*****
The end of another year, a time to relax and think about what the next year of reading will hold...  Well, it would be, if only there wasn't a little something called January in Japan in full swing!  I've been looking forward to my first hosting event for a while now - hopefully it'll be a success :)