Saturday 1 October 2011

September 2011 Wrap-Up

After two heavily-scheduled months of reading, September was an opportunity to relax a little - at least, that was the plan.  What actually happened was that I was lucky enough to receive some rare review copies of new books that I had been hoping to read, so I didn't really get through everything I wanted to have a look at.  Still, there's nothing new about that...

*****
Total Books Read: 8
Year-to-date: 96

New: 6
Rereads: 2


From the Shelves: 6
From the Library: 2
On the Kindle: 0

Novels: 6
Short Stories: 2

Non-English Language: 2 (2 Japanese)
Aussie Author Challenge: 4 (17/12)
Victorian Literature Challenge: 1 (27/15)
Japanese Literature Challenge 5: 2 (4/1)

Tony's Recommendations for September are: Arnold Zable's Violin Lessons and
Elliot Perlman's The Street Sweeper

Only eight books this month, but it was a vintage crop.  While both my Japanese offerings were as enjoyable as ever, and Fflur Dafydd's imaginative retelling of an ancient myth was a lot of fun, I was leaning towards the wonderful Phineas Finn for a while.  However, the two Australian books on learning from the past, the slight, enigmatic Violin Lessons, and the weighty, densely-plotted The Street Sweeper are two books which simply cannot (and shouldn't) be ignored...

Off we go into October then.  What's up for this month?  Well, I've got a lot of reading to do for something that's happening next month - and some of you may even know what that is ;)  Also, I have a big milestone coming up.  For the first time in the three years of Tony's Reading List, I should (fingers crossed) crack three figures in October.  The champagne is already on ice!