Tuesday 5 August 2014

Women in Translation Month - A Few Suggestions

Several bloggers have come up with lists of recommendations and links to reviews for Women in Translation Month, and I was very keen to follow the trend - until, that is, I realised that I actually had a fair few links to add...

Having given up on the idea of linking to all my reviews of women in translation, I opted for the next best thing, a (fairly) representative top twelve of the reviews that have appeared on the blog over the past few years of books by non-Anglophone female writers.  While the geographical grouping leaves a little to be desired (my focus on German, Japanese and - more recently - Korean literature means that these languages dominate), these were the ones I thought needed to be included in my top dozen :)  So, in order of appearance on the blog....

*****

Das Gemeindekind (The Parish Child) by Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach


Children in Reindeer Woods by Krístin Ómarsdóttir


Sommerhaus, später (Summerhouse, Later) by Judith Hermann


Nachdenken über Christa T. (The Quest for Christa T.) by Christa Wolf


Das Muschelessen by Birgit Vanderbeke


My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante


70% Acrylic 30% Wool by Viola Di Grado


A True Novel by Minae Mizumura


Anatomie einer Nacht (Anatomy of a Night) by Anna Kim


No One Writes Back by Jang Eun-jin


Revenge by Yoko Ogawa


I'll Be Right There by Shin Kyung-sook

*****
Some great books there, all worth hunting down and devouring - so, what are you waiting for? ;)