Saturday 4 August 2012

July 2012 Wrap-Up

If you ever hear me whinging about how I don't get all these review copies people are constantly talking about, give me a big slap.  July laid that bogey to rest with the month seeing me get through seven (!) books received from various publishers.  What was even better is that they were all good - making for some very tricky decisions this time around...

*****
Total Books Read: 12
Year-to-Date: 71

New: 11
Rereads: 1


From the Shelves: 3
Review Copies: 6
From the Library: 2
On the Kindle: 1 (1 Review Copy)

Novels: 7
Novellas: 2
Short Stories: 2
Non-Fiction: 1

Non-English Language: 10 (2 Spanish, 2 Icelandic, 2 Russian, German, French, Japanese, Finnish)
In Original Language: 2 (1 German, 1 French)

Murakami Challenge: 0 (0/3)
Aussie Author Challenge: 0 (5/12)
Australian Women Writers Challenge: 0 (5/10)
Japanese Literature Challenge 6: 1 (3/1) 

*****
Books read in July were:

Tony's Turkey for July is: nothing

No turkeys for Christmas in July, I'm afraid.  This was a formidable reading month, and while a couple of the dozen were weaker than the others, that had everything to do with the competition and not the quality of the books themselves :)

Tony's Recommendations for July are: Andrei Bely's Petersburg
and Enrique Vila-Matas' Dublinesque

Petersburg was the first book I read in July, and I immediately assumed that the top spot had already been secured. This feeling lasted about two days, that is until I started Dublinesque...  While many of the other books I read in July were fabulous, and may well have taken out the honours in a weaker month (take a bow Flowers of Grass, The Year of the Hare and, especially, The Blue Fox), it was a two-horse race from the start - and regular readers should know by now that we don't like using technology to separate close finishes round these parts ;)

*****
I still have a few more review copies to read in August, but I am hoping to fit in a few more of my own books this month.  Of course, I may not be able to match July's reading total - I seem to recall that there's some big sporting thing happening that may well take up a bit of my time...